Development and Communications Director
Superior Hiking Trail Association | Two Harbors , Minnesota
Job Type: Paid permanent
Category: Non-Profit Development, Recreation
The Superior Hiking Trail (SHT) is a nationally renowned and universally loved hiking and running trail along Minnesota’s North Shore that tens of thousands of people enjoy every year. Renewing the Trail and telling members and the world about the wonders of the SHT, and engaging people in the Trail’s mission, is at the heart of this position the Superior Hiking Trail Association seeks to fill.
This position is the perfect opportunity for an energetic and creative individual who not only understands the mechanics of fund raising but appreciates that successful fund raising is relationship-building: helping members and donors bring to the fore their commitment to and support for the Superior Hiking Trail.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee and manage the organization’s membership and donor operations: new member acquisition, member renewals, fund raising appeals, and other fund raising mechanisms.
- Develop strategies for targeted and customized communications that recognize and speak effectively to the diverse support base of the SHT.
- Lead and develop the SHTA’s communications functions, including generating content for both printed and digital communications, that promote the Trail and generate interest and investment in the SHT.
- Assist in developing events and innovative partnerships with members, North Shore businesses and others to promote the Trail and generate financial support for it.
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or business administration. Some education or practical experience in natural resources or environmental protection helpful.
- At least three years’ experience operating or working in the realm of member-based fund raising and communications.
- Demonstrated communications ability in all modern media, including traditional marketing communications, and excellent understanding of and facility with the written word.
- Experience with and strong interest in some form of silent sports or outdoor recreation (e.g. hiking, biking, skiing, running).
- Previous professional experience in a nonprofit setting.
- An understanding of the Superior Hiking Trail.
- An ability to roll with but also create surprises. Gregarious and bold.
HOW TO APPLY
The position will be based at SHTA’s headquarters in Two Harbors, Minnesota. Duluth is 20 miles away, and recreational opportunities abound along the North Shore of Lake Superior and the nearby Superior National Forest.
Please send us a letter expressing your interest in and qualifications for this positon. Include a resume and a writing sample that you created. Address your application to Denny Caneff, Executive Director, email@example.com
Application deadline is November 27, 2017.
• Post ID: 26629692 duluth